Subject: Re: bug#1092: compilation-goto-error goes to wrong location when buffer has hidden regions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 18:52:26 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 23:12:29 -0500
> 
> Declaring a feature obsolete doesn't resolve any problem.
> It just expresses our intent not to resolve those problems.

I think it expresses our intent to remove the feature at some point.
It doesn't necessarily follow that we will let it bitrot until then.

> My only intention in this discussion is to try and saves us from someone
> else ever trying to "fix" such bugs like you did.  Instead we should
> always reply with something like "if it hurts when you use
> selective-display=t, then don't use it".  Same applies for any other
> obsoleted feature.

I understand your intention very well, but I don't agree with such a
policy.  I think as long as the feature is not deleted, we ought to
fix bugs in it, unless the fix is very complex or could adversely
affect other packages, or could cause some other complication.  Bugs
are not a vehicle for telling users not to use an obsolete feature.
If we really want to remove a feature, we should just do that, after
making sure there's a usable replacement.