Subject: bug#1092: compilation-goto-error goes to wrong location when buffer has hidden regions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:41:47 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 19:42:50 -0500
> 
> >> For the selective-display=t case, we have had replacement features in
> >> place and in wide use for what, twenty years?
> > Which replacements are those?  I mean user commands or settings, not
> > infrastructure on which to base them.
> 
> selective-display=t gives no user command, so I have no idea what you're
> expecting as "user command" to replace it.

Setting a variable is a user-level feature.

And I did mean _both_ uses of selective-display, not only that single
one.  If and when there are replacements for both of them, we can
declare the variable obsolete and perhaps also remove its current
handling from the sources, if the replacement features allow to
emulate the variable's effect.

> There are almost no uses of selective-display=t around, they've
> almost all been replaced by uses of overlays.

We have no idea of how many uses of this are out there.  We only know
what's in Emacs and in ELPA, which is just a fraction of what's out
there.

> >> We can very definitely declare this use case obsolete
> > We already did.  And look how well did it serve us.
> 
> Which problem did its obsolescence cause?

This one, for example.  More importantly, it didn't resolve any
problem.

Anyway, I don't see where this discussion is going.  The original bug
is fixed and closed.  If you or someone else have a patch to replace
selective-display with alternative user features, let's see those
patches (preferably in another thread).

Thanks.