Subject: Re: bug#1092: compilation-goto-error goes to wrong location when buffer has hidden regions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:25:53 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 23:06:15 -0500
> 
> I'm not going to give a recipe for a bug that I marked wontfix 7 years
> ago, and which has recently been closed. If no-one cares enough to
> follow the original example, no one is going to fix it.

(There was no example in the original report, not AFAICT.)

I think Andrew just wanted to DTRT with this bug, which is
commendable, IMO.

I came up with a simple example, see below.

> Selective display is 7 years more obsolete than it was then. Let's
> move on.

I see no reason not to fix this simple bug, so I just did it.

Here's a reproducible recipe, for the record:

 . Visit the attached file
 . Replace every C-j in the commentary block with a C-m
 . M-: (setq selective-display t) RET
 . Save the buffer (note that the file on disk has its newlines
   restored by write-region -- I wonder how many people knew we had
   this feature in write-region)
 . M-x compile RET gcc -Wall -o hello hello.c RET
 . Type "C-x `" and observe the incorrect behavior: point in the
   hello.c buffer goes to the end of the buffer, and the error
   locus is not highlighted

With the current emacs-25 branch, this example works correctly.

I'm marking this bug as done (after reopening it).