Subject: Re: bug#1092: compilation-goto-error goes to wrong location when buffer has hidden regions

From: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 16:43:00 -0500

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, I'd recommend you fix this problem by not using
>> selective-display (replace it with an overlay).
>
> Should `selective-display' be marked as obsolete?
> (I kind of thought it was, but it does not seem to be.)
> Can it do anything that other methods of making regions invisible
> cannot?

I'd agree that either selective-display should be marked as deprecated,
or the problem should be fixed. I don't know what the status of
selective-display is, though - it might be worth bringing this up in
emacs-devel.

Glenn, do you have a quick way to reproduce this starting from a clean
emacs (emacs -Q)? This will make it easier for developers to reproduce &
fix the issue.