Subject: Re: bug#10919: emacs-mule/utf-8 difference

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 19:54:48 +0200

> Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:39:57 +0100
> From: Tiphaine Turpin <[email-masked]>
> 
> From emacs-devel:
> 
> "The byte sequence of a buffer after decoded is always in emacs-mule (in 
> emacs-unicode-2 branch, it's utf-8).

This is very old info.  The emacs-unicode-2 branch was merged with the
mainline when Emacs 23.1 was released.

> So, changing 
> buffer-file-coding-system or any other coding-system-related variables 
> doesn't affects position-bytes."
> 
> However, this is not the case with 3bytes utf8 characters: 
> position-bytes counts them as 3 bytes, but process-send-string wirtes 4 
> bytes.

process-send-string _encodes_ the string, it does not send the
internal representation of the string in the buffer.  Using
process-send-string is like writing the string to a disk file: Emacs
encodes it before sending or writing.

Therefore, buffer-file-coding-system _does_ affect what is being sent.

I'm closing this non-bug.