Subject: bug#10906: 24.0.94; `c-mark-function' does set the mark well

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 14:16:51 +0000

Hello, Dani,

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:03:48AM +0100, Dani Moncayo wrote:

> > Any chance of a quick summary of how c-mark-function differs from
> > mark-defun?

> AFAIK, they differ at least in two things:

> 1. `mark-defun' saves the original point location in the mark ring,
> whereas `c-mark-function' does not.  IMO, the point should be saved,
> because in large defuns it may jump to a remote location and you may
> want to return back to the original position.  This bug report is
> about this inconsistency, as you can see in the original post.

> 2. Successive interactive invocations of `mark-defun' extend the
> region to the next defuns (which I find useful), whereas
> `c-mark-function' does not have this feature.  Bug #5525 is a request
> to remove this inconsistency, as you can see in the corresponding
> thread.

OK, I'll amend c-mark-function to do these things.

> -- 
> Dani Moncayo

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).