Subject: bug#10904: 24.0.93; Infinite loop in GnuTLS code during Gnus nnimap-initiated SSL handshake

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:04:33 -0400

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 1) GnuTLS fails to handshake with a server that uses the DES-CBC3-SHA
>>    cipher, whereas OpenSSL succeeds
>
> This seems like an internal GnuTLS bug, I think?  Could you report it to
> [email-masked]?

Done.  I sent a bug report to [email-masked].

>> 2) If gnutls.el fails to handshake with a server then Emacs enters an
>>    infinite loop retrying the handshake
>
> That sounds like a bug on our part.  Do you know whether there's any way
> to reproduce this bug without having access to a server that has the
> particular problems you've encountered?  For instance, a setting that
> makes gnutls try the wrong ciphers or something.  Then I could try to
> reproduce and chase down the infloop bug on the Emacs side.

Yes, this replicates it on my setup:

$ gnutls-serv --http

$ emacs -Q

Eval:

(setq gnutls-log-level 5
      message-log-max t
      gnus-directory "~/.emacs.d/gnus/News/"
      gnus-startup-file "~/.emacs.d/gnus/.newsrc"
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      (quote ((nnimap "localhost"
                      (nnimap-server-address "localhost")
                      (nnimap-server-port 5556)
                      (nnimap-user "fitzsim")))))

M-x gnus

Thomas