Subject: bug#10899: 24.0.93; c-forward-conditional should not move the mark

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:28:58 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:29:55 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> 
> What does "leaving mark behind" mean exactly here?  It seem to mean
> "setting the mark at point, and then moving the point".  At least it
> is the behavior I observe.

What else could it possibly mean?

> But this behavior is undesirable (IMO - this is a movement command.
> whats the point of setting the mark here?)

A conditional could, and frequently does, enclose a large portion of
the code.  Leaving the mark where you were lets you get back there
with "C-x C-x", obviously, which is a convenience.  In general, Emacs
commands that could potentially move a long way leave the mark behind.

> and inconsistent with analogous movement commands such as
> `forward-list'.

There's no need for consistency in all movement commands.  In
particular, those that generally move short distances need not behave
the same as the other kind.

And you have "C-u C-c C-n" to do what you want.