Subject: bug#10897: copy-directory create new directory when copying a symlink

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:47:02 +0100

Hi all,
when copying a directory symlink to another directory, the behavior of
'cp' is to create a new symlink in this directory:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
thierry@thierry-MM061:~ $ mkdir ~/Test
thierry@thierry-MM061:~ $ mkdir ~/tmp/Test1
thierry@thierry-MM061:~ $ ln -s ~/tmp/Test1 ~/tmp/foo
thierry@thierry-MM061:~ $ cp -r ~/tmp/foo ~/Test
thierry@thierry-MM061:~ $ ls -l ~/Test
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 thierry        thierry  23 2012-02-27 09:08 foo -> /home/thierry/tmp/Test1
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It is not what's copy-directory does:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(copy-directory "~/tmp/foo" "~/Test" nil t)
=>
thierry@thierry-MM061:~ $ ls -l ~/Test
total 4
drwxrwxr-x   2 thierry        thierry  4096 2012-02-27 09:11 foo
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

NOTE:
I am not sending this bug-report via report-emacs-bug due to its last
silly modifications.

-- 
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997