Subject: Re: bug#10896: 23.4; --with-crt-dir was required since crt1.0 not found (on *32bit* system)

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 14:25:16 -0500

ishikawa wrote:

> Compilation failed unless --with-crt-dir was specified during configure on a
> 32 bit system.

That makes sense if you are using a Debian multi-arch system.

> And despite the comment that it is used only on amdx86-64 and ibms390x,
> somehow it is being used on this 32-bit Debian system.

We changed the way it works for 23.4 specifically for this issue, but
forgot to change the comment.

> So I bit the bullet and specified --with-crt-dir in configure line as
> below. And the compilation succeeded.

Good, that's what should happen.

> ./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --without-xim
> --with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
>
> However, something is fishy here. Since
> this is NOT a 64 bit system, and not ibms390, CRT_DIR should not be used if
> I believe the comment in src/Makefile.

The comment is incorrect. No need to panic!

> In my use of emacs for more than 20 years, I don't think I ever needed
> to specify this CRT_DIR via --with-crt-dir on a popular target.

It's due to Debian's fairly recent transition to multi-arch.

There isn't a bug here, other than an incorrect comment, and the fact
that you need to specify --with-crt-dir manually. This is all already
fixed for 24.1. You might like to try a pretest from
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest