Subject: bug#10885: Replace expressions: enhance functionality when searching in filled paragraphs

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:33:19 +0200

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> `isearch-regexp-lax-whitespace' was necessary to provide
>> backward-compatibility for old functionality.  Very likely
>> it will be declared obsolete.  But of course, it would be better
>> to have `replace-regexp-lax-whitespace' for consistency until
>> they both will be declared obsolete simultaneously.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to add something only for "consistency"
> reasons, knowing it'll be obsoleted soon.

I think replace-regexp-lax-whitespace is needed while the Isearch
counterpart (isearch-regexp-lax-whitespace) exists, if you want to
support the option I was asking for, whereby the lax-whitespace
settings in query-replace[-regexp] are "connected" (or "redirected")
to the Isearch counterparts.

And IMO this option is important, for a consistent user-experience.

But FWIW, as I said, I consider this lax-whitespace feature confusing
and unnecesary in regexp search/replace.  Thus, I'll rather remove
both isearch-regexp-lax-whitespace and replace-regexp-lax-whitespace.

-- 
Dani Moncayo