Subject: Re: bug#10885: Replace expressions: enhance functionality when searching in filled paragraphs

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 21:45:25 +0200

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> But I meant to bind `M-s SPC' not while reading the arguments, but
>> right after that, i.e. during the interactive replacing.
>
> If you meant `query-replace-map' then it lacks other isearch
> keybindings too, e.g. toggling case-fold, regexp and word mode.

Well, I think all these commands would make sense during a
query-replace, for adjusting the search (that is taking place as part
of the replace operation) in the same way that they would adjust an
Isearch.  So, why not binding them in `query-replace-map'?  That would
make Isearch and query-replace more coherent.

> It has a similar feature to edit the replacement string but it's bound
> to the `E' key unlike `M-e' to edit the search string in isearch.

IMO, here `M-e' would be better, for consistency with Isearch.

>> But I don't meant that.  What I want is the possibility to have these
>> two variables "synchronized" or "connected" at every moment, even
>> after toggling its value with `M-s SPC'.  IOW: make Isearch and
>> query-replace _share_ the same setting (at every moment).
>
> They are already shared and synchronized when you run query-replace
> from isearch like e.g. `C-s replace this M-s SPC M-%'.

That's fine, but it's not the case I'm talking about.

It seems that my English is worse than I thought :)  I'll try to
explain it in yet another way: I'd like to configure my Emacs so that,
at any moment, an Isearch would find exactly the same matches than a
query-replace (with the same search string, of course), and without
the need to start the query-replace from an Isearch.

One way to achieve that goal would be to define a special value for
`replace-lax-whitespace' whose meaning be "use the current value of
`isearch-lax-whitespace'".

-- 
Dani Moncayo