Subject: bug#10885: Replace expressions: enhance functionality when searching in filled paragraphs

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 17:54:30 +0200

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Since query-replace is going in the direction of closer integration with
>>> isearch, the right thing would be to get its search function from isearch.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> Installed.  [...]

Thank you so much Juri.  I have some comments:

1.  You've defined two separate variables (`isearch-lax-whitespace'
and `isearch-regexp-lax-whitespace') to enable/disable the lax
whitespace matching in search commands: one for basic search commands
and the other for regexp search commands.  But there is only one
similar variable (replace-lax-whitespace) which controls both basic
and regexp replace commands.  Why this inconsistency?  I.e. why not
define also a `replace-regexp-lax-whitespace' variable?

2.  While in an incremental search commands, it is possible to toggle
the value of the corresponding variable with `M-s SPC'.  Why not
having the same possibility in incremental replace commands?

3.  Many users will want a consistent behavior wrt whitespace-matching
between (regexp) search and (regexp) replace commands.  So, why not
allowing to "connect" the corresponding variables?  I.e. why not
defining some special value for `replace-lax-whitespace' and
`replace-regexp-lax-whitespace' which means "get the value from the
corresponding search variable" ?

TIA.

-- 
Dani Moncayo