Subject: Wimpy external files.

From: Rogier Wolff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:53:57 +0100

Hi,

I understand the need for external temporary files. (I rewrote dos 3.3
sort for personal use when I got my first computer in 1987). 

However on my 8G machine sort imho is allowed to use say 200M or maybe
even 2000M of core memory. If you write a temporary file every
20Mb, there will be such a whole lot of them. 

zebigbos:/> l /tmp/sort* | wc -l
163
zebigbos:/> free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       8264484    8100420     164064          0     376756    6853884
-/+ buffers/cache:     869780    7394704
Swap:            0          0          0
zebigbos:/> 

It seems that I may be allowed to set this with the -S option. The
manual does not mention a default. A more sensible default would be in
order.

	Roger. 

-- 
** [email-masked] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
*-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.