Subject: bug#1086: ange-ftp and open recent files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 19:56:03 +0200

"David Strozzi" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I think I've found a bug in emacs, although this may be too strong a
> claim.  In particular, I use ange-ftp to edit remote files, and very
> much appreciate this capability.  the problem is when I enable the
> open recent item on the file menu.  I activate this in .emacs with:
>
> (require 'recentf)
> (recentf-mode 1)
>
> During startup, I am asked for the password to one of the servers on
> which I recently visited a file via ange-ftp.  This is rather
> annoying.  Is there a way to disable this, or have a password
> requested only when I actually try to view the file?

You shall customize `recentf-keep'. Add "file-remote-p" in front of the
list, as described there.

With the upcoming Emacs 23, this won't be necessary, because
`recentf-keep' will have an adapted initial value, handling this.

> Cheers,
> David Strozzi

Best regards, Michael.