Subject: bug#10851: closed (Re: bug#10851: Error edebugging read-char-by-name)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10851: Error edebugging read-char-by-name

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10851: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10851
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10851: Error edebugging read-char-by-name
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:17:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

But with revision 110435 it has been fixed, hopefully?

Yes, thanks.

Closing this one.

    Juanma

Subject: Error edebugging read-char-by-name
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:49:27 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Version: 24.0.93

This is a regression against 23.X.

emacs -Q lisp/international/mule-cmds.el

then look for `read-char-by-name', instrument it with C-u C-M-x, then

C-x b <RET>  ; to switch to *scratch*
M-x ucs-insert <RET> <space> <space> <space>  ; until the prompt
<space>  ; at the prompt

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Window #<window 4 on
*Minibuf-1*> too small for splitting")
  apply(debug error (error "Window #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*> too
small for splitting"))
  edebug(error (error "Window #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*> too small
for splitting"))
  signal(error ("Window #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*> too small for splitting"))
  edebug-signal(error ("Window #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*> too small
for splitting"))
  signal(error ("Window #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*> too small for splitting"))
  error("Window %s too small for splitting" #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*>)
  byte-code(... [ignore-window-parameters function window size side
atom-root t functionp throw done window-parameter window-atom
window-atom-root split-window window-side 0 window-total-size
window-combined-p window-split-min-size window-min-size
window-combinations 2 nil window-sizable-p error "Window %s too small
for splitting" window--resize-reset float 0.5 1.0 window-normal-size
2.0 window--resize-child-windows 1.0 window-child
set-window-new-normal window-right set-window-new-total
window--resize-this-window 1.0 split-window-internal
set-window-parameter window-parent
run-window-configuration-change-hook window--check parent
window-combination-limit window-combination-resize horizontal
parent-size ...] 7)
  split-window()
  edebug-pop-to-buffer(#<buffer mule-cmds.el> #<window 11>)
  edebug-display()
  edebug-debugger(0 before nil)
  edebug-before(0)
  (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if (edebug-after (edebug-before
1) 3 (eq (edebug-after 0 2 action) (quote metadata))) (quote (metadata
(category . unicode-name))) (edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 10
(complete-with-action (edebug-after 0 5 action) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 6) 7 (ucs-names)) (edebug-after 0 8 string)
(edebug-after 0 9 pred)))))
  (lambda nil (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if (edebug-after
(edebug-before 1) 3 (eq (edebug-after 0 2 action) (quote metadata)))
(quote (metadata (category . unicode-name))) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 4) 10 (complete-with-action (edebug-after 0 5 action)
(edebug-after (edebug-before 6) 7 (ucs-names)) (edebug-after 0 8
string) (edebug-after 0 9 pred))))))()
  edebug-enter(edebug-anon0 ("" nil metadata) (lambda nil
(edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if (edebug-after (edebug-before 1)
3 (eq (edebug-after 0 2 action) (quote metadata))) (quote (metadata
(category . unicode-name))) (edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 10
(complete-with-action (edebug-after 0 5 action) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 6) 7 (ucs-names)) (edebug-after 0 8 string)
(edebug-after 0 9 pred)))))))
  (lambda (string pred action) (edebug-enter (quote edebug-anon0)
(list string pred action) (function (lambda nil (edebug-after
(edebug-before 0) 11 (if (edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (eq ...
...)) (quote (metadata ...)) (edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 10
(complete-with-action ... ... ... ...))))))))("" nil metadata)
  completion-metadata("" (lambda (string pred action) (edebug-enter
(quote edebug-anon0) (list string pred action) (function (lambda nil
(edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if (edebug-after (edebug-before 1)
3 (eq ... ...)) (quote (metadata ...)) (edebug-after (edebug-before 4)
10 (complete-with-action ... ... ... ...)))))))) nil)
  completion--field-metadata(24)
  completion--do-completion(completion--try-word-completion)
  minibuffer-complete-word()
  call-interactively(minibuffer-complete-word nil nil)
  read-from-minibuffer("Unicode (name or hex): " nil (keymap (menu-bar
keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (tab menu-item "Complete"
minibuffer-complete :help "Complete as far as possible") (space
menu-item "Complete Word" minibuffer-complete-word :help "Complete at
most one word") (63 menu-item "List Completions"
minibuffer-completion-help :help "Display all possible completions")
"Minibuf")) (27 keymap (118 . switch-to-completions)) (prior .
switch-to-completions) (63 . minibuffer-completion-help) (32 .
minibuffer-complete-word) (9 . minibuffer-complete) keymap (menu-bar
keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (previous menu-item "Previous History
Item" previous-history-element :help "Put previous minibuffer history
element in the minibuffer") (next menu-item "Next History Item"
next-history-element :help "Put next minibuffer history element in the
minibuffer") (isearch-backward menu-item "Isearch History Backward"
isearch-backward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history
backward") (isearch-forward menu-item "Isearch History Forward"
isearch-forward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history
forward") (return menu-item "Enter" exit-minibuffer :key-sequence "
" :help "Terminate input and exit minibuffer") (quit menu-item "Quit"
abort-recursive-edit :help "Abort input and exit minibuffer")
"Minibuf")) (10 . exit-minibuffer) (13 . exit-minibuffer) (7 .
abort-recursive-edit) (C-tab . file-cache-minibuffer-complete) (9 .
self-insert-command) (up . previous-history-element) (prior .
previous-history-element) (down . next-history-element) (next .
next-history-element) (27 keymap (114 .
previous-matching-history-element) (115 .
next-matching-history-element) (112 . previous-history-element) (110 .
next-history-element))) nil nil nil nil)
  completing-read-default("Unicode (name or hex): " (lambda (string
pred action) (edebug-enter (quote edebug-anon0) (list string pred
action) (function (lambda nil (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if
(edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (eq ... ...)) (quote (metadata ...))
(edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 10 (complete-with-action ... ... ...
...)))))))) nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  completing-read("Unicode (name or hex): " (lambda (string pred
action) (edebug-enter (quote edebug-anon0) (list string pred action)
(function (lambda nil (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if
(edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (eq ... ...)) (quote (metadata ...))
(edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 10 (complete-with-action ... ... ...
...)))))))))
  (edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (completing-read (edebug-after 0 2
prompt) (lambda (string pred action) (edebug-enter (quote
edebug-anon0) (list string pred action) (function (lambda nil
(edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 11 (if ... ... ...))))))))
  (let* ((completion-ignore-case t) (input (edebug-after
(edebug-before 1) 3 (completing-read (edebug-after 0 2 prompt) (lambda
(string pred action) (edebug-enter (quote edebug-anon0) (list string
pred action) (function ...))))))) (edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 24
(cond ((edebug-after (edebug-before 5) 7 (string-match-p
"^[0-9a-fA-F]+$" (edebug-after 0 6 input))) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 8) 10 (string-to-number (edebug-after 0 9 input) 16)))
((edebug-after (edebug-before 11) 13 (string-match-p "^#"
(edebug-after 0 12 input))) (edebug-after (edebug-before 14) 16 (read
(edebug-after 0 15 input)))) (t (edebug-after (edebug-before 17) 23
(cdr (edebug-after (edebug-before 18) 22 (assoc-string ... ...
t))))))))
  (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 25 (let* ((completion-ignore-case t)
(input (edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (completing-read
(edebug-after 0 2 prompt) (lambda (string pred action) (edebug-enter
... ... ...)))))) (edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 24 (cond
((edebug-after (edebug-before 5) 7 (string-match-p "^[0-9a-fA-F]+$"
(edebug-after 0 6 input))) (edebug-after (edebug-before 8) 10
(string-to-number (edebug-after 0 9 input) 16))) ((edebug-after
(edebug-before 11) 13 (string-match-p "^#" (edebug-after 0 12 input)))
(edebug-after (edebug-before 14) 16 (read (edebug-after 0 15 input))))
(t (edebug-after (edebug-before 17) 23 (cdr (edebug-after ... 22
...))))))))
  (lambda nil (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 25 (let*
((completion-ignore-case t) (input (edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3
(completing-read (edebug-after 0 2 prompt) (lambda ... ...)))))
(edebug-after (edebug-before 4) 24 (cond ((edebug-after (edebug-before
5) 7 (string-match-p "^[0-9a-fA-F]+$" ...)) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 8) 10 (string-to-number ... 16))) ((edebug-after
(edebug-before 11) 13 (string-match-p "^#" ...)) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 14) 16 (read ...))) (t (edebug-after (edebug-before 17)
23 (cdr ...))))))))()
  edebug-enter(read-char-by-name ("Unicode (name or hex): ") (lambda
nil (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 25 (let* ((completion-ignore-case
t) (input (edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (completing-read
(edebug-after 0 2 prompt) (lambda ... ...))))) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 4) 24 (cond ((edebug-after (edebug-before 5) 7
(string-match-p "^[0-9a-fA-F]+$" ...)) (edebug-after (edebug-before 8)
10 (string-to-number ... 16))) ((edebug-after (edebug-before 11) 13
(string-match-p "^#" ...)) (edebug-after (edebug-before 14) 16 (read
...))) (t (edebug-after (edebug-before 17) 23 (cdr ...)))))))))
  edebug-enter(read-char-by-name ("Unicode (name or hex): ") (lambda
nil (edebug-after (edebug-before 0) 25 (let* ((completion-ignore-case
t) (input (edebug-after (edebug-before 1) 3 (completing-read
(edebug-after 0 2 prompt) (lambda ... ...))))) (edebug-after
(edebug-before 4) 24 (cond ((edebug-after (edebug-before 5) 7
(string-match-p "^[0-9a-fA-F]+$" ...)) (edebug-after (edebug-before 8)
10 (string-to-number ... 16))) ((edebug-after (edebug-before 11) 13
(string-match-p "^#" ...)) (edebug-after (edebug-before 14) 16 (read
...))) (t (edebug-after (edebug-before 17) 23 (cdr ...)))))))))
  read-char-by-name("Unicode (name or hex): ")
  (list (read-char-by-name "Unicode (name or hex): ")
(prefix-numeric-value current-prefix-arg) t)
  call-interactively(ucs-insert t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)