Subject: bug#10838: 24.0.92; package.el shows a misleading version number

From: Phil Hagelberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 05:23:09 +0000

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> but if we decide that's not worth it then it could be
>> dropped. I haven't looked into what's keeping it from working on 23;
>> I've just been pointing 23 users at an older version.  Would you like
>> me to investigate to see how much it would take to make it work?
>
> I haven't thought about this.  It'd be good to have a package.el that
> works with Emacs-23 to access GNU ELPA, but it doesn't have to be sync'd
> with Emacs-24's.  So unless package.el version 0.9 has problems
> accessing GNU ELPA, I see no need to backport the current code.

The problem is there are many versions claiming to be 0.9. The original
one on tromey.com (which did not support multiple sources) probably has
the best claim of being "the real 0.9". I think Chong's suggestion of
releasing 24 with package.el 1.0 makes sense, and if we decide to
backport a few changes for official 23-compatibility it could be 0.9.1
or something.

-Phil