Subject: Re: bug#108: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 07:54:14 +0200

Reiner Steib <[email-masked]> writes:

> when XEmacs is started with `--vanilla' or `-q', it displays an item
> "Load init files" in the menu bar.  The name of the command in XEmacs
> is `load-user-init-file'.
>
> Maybe Emacs should do have something similar.  I'm not sure about
> where to add it. Maybe a menu entry in the Options menu and a tool bar
> button?

Hm...  I'm not quite sure what the use case here is.  I mean, if you say
"-q" or "-Q", it's because you want an Emacs without any
customisations.  So why would you then load ~/.emacs?

Hm...  OK...  I could see that it could help with debugging the init
file, for instance.  You'd (setq debug-on-error t) or whatever and then
hit the load button.  But...  if you're doing that, you're probably
better off just `M-x eval-buffer' in ~/.emacs.

So I'm not sure.  Anybody got an opinion?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no