Subject: Re: bug#10791: aclocal fails if /usr/share/aclocal does not exist

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:35:53 +0100

Hi Tim, sorry for the delay.

On 02/11/2012 08:19 PM, Tim Retout wrote:
> [ Reposted from the Debian BTS: http://bugs.debian.org/659482 ]
> 
> Since automake 1.11.2, aclocal no longer succeeds if the system acdir
> does not exist.  This causes Debian's 'make' package (and possibly
> others?) to FTBFS under cowbuilder, because it calls autoreconf when
> /usr/share/aclocal is not present.
>
But the automake build system creates /usr/share/aclocal at "make install"
time...  So, how comes that this "cowbuilder" provides an aclocal program
without an /usr/share/aclocal directory?

Sorry, but I regard that as a broken aclocal installation, and not for a
fault of the automake build system; so I'm inclined to label this report
as "notabug" and close it.  Still, I'll wait a couple of days before doing
so, in case I've missed something or you want to provide more rationale
for your request.

Thanks,
  Stefano