Subject: aclocal fails if /usr/share/aclocal does not exist

From: Tim Retout <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:19:58 +0000

[ Reposted from the Debian BTS: http://bugs.debian.org/659482 ]

Since automake 1.11.2, aclocal no longer succeeds if the system acdir
does not exist.  This causes Debian's 'make' package (and possibly
others?) to FTBFS under cowbuilder, because it calls autoreconf when
/usr/share/aclocal is not present.

Code removed as part of upstream commit 30f99cb:

-  if (! -d $system_includes[0])
-    {
-      # By default $(datadir)/aclocal doesn't exist.  We don't want to
-      # get an error in the case where we are searching the default
-      # directory and it hasn't been created.  (We know
-      # @system_includes has its default value if @automake_includes
-      # is not empty, because --acdir is the only way to change this.)
-      @system_includes = () if @automake_includes;

Checking @automake_includes is not appropriate any more, but I think
@system_includes should still be made empty if the default directory
does not exist.

-- 
Tim Retout <[email-masked]>