Subject: Re: bug#10791: aclocal fails if /usr/share/aclocal does not exist

From: Tim Retout <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:10:47 +0000

On 26 February 2012 10:01, Stefano Lattarini
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> But the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of creating
> an empty directory whose existence is required by aclocal in order for
> it to function at all.  Moreover, the objection you've raised might be
> applied to the aclocal and automake (unversioned) scripts themselves,
> but that doesn't prevent us from installing them.

It's your prerogative to apply the patch, but I disagree with your
reasoning here.  If you don't like empty directories being required,
go back to the old automake 1.11.1 behaviour where aclocal handled it
properly.

The mechanisms that Debian uses to handle unversioned aclocal and
automake are not appropriate for a README file.  I suspect it will end
up not being installed.  And that will mean unnecessary divergence
from upstream, which I don't like to see. :(

-- 
Tim Retout <[email-masked]>