Subject: 24.0.93; Doc of display-buffer doesn't explain alists

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:04:22 +0100

Hello,

the docstring of `display-buffer' mentions certain "alists" in several
places, but doesn't say at all how they must look like and what an
effect they have.

Also most of the docstrings of the variables mentioned there
don't explain their purpose, like `display-buffer-alist':

  ACTION is a cons cell (FUNCTION . ALIST), where FUNCTION is a
  function or a list of functions.  Each such function should
  accept two arguments: a buffer to display and an alist of the
  same form as ALIST.  See `display-buffer' for details.

It's all quite cyclic.

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.3)
 of 2012-02-08 on zelenka, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20120208-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103901
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.93/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.93/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2''