Subject: Re: bug#10781: EIEIO namespace use

From: David Engster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:03:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> Yes, I think 'this' should indeed become 'eieio-this'. It will also be
>> the most work, since at least in CEDET you *very* often have
>
>> (defmethod foo ((this someclass) ...)
>>  ...)
>
>> so a 'this' in such a method is perfectly fine.
>
> An alternative approach is to keep the name `this' but get rid of the
> global definition.  I.e. Either completely remove the (defvar this nil),
> or replace it with (defvar this).

Eric, what would you prefer? I don't know enough about CLOS to say how
important a global 'eieio-this' actually is. Either way, I just tested
both solutions on CEDET trunk and each produced exactly this single
compile warning:

In ede-flush-directory-hash:
files.el:230:38:Warning: reference to free variable `this'

So actually, this appears to be a much smaller issue than I initially
thought. It seems pretty much every 'this' in CEDET is already bound in
the defmethod's argument list.

-David