Subject: bug#10781: EIEIO namespace use

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:39:23 -0500

Package: Emacs
Severity: important
Version: 24.0.92

EIEIO needs to be cleaned up so it doesn't intrude all over
the namespace.
The worst offenders include:
- `this'.
- `slot-*'.
- `constructor', `destructor'.
- `delete-instance'.
- `initialize-instance'.
- `clone'.
- `data-debug*'.
- `make-instance'.
- `oref'.
- `oset'.
- `with-slots'.
- `object-*'.
- `class-*'.
- `next-method-p'.
- `call-next-method'.
- error symbols (like no-next-method).
- ... probably `defmethod', `defclass', and `defgeneric'.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.8)
 of 2012-01-17 on pastel
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103901
Configured using:
 `configure
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O0'
 '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-u M-x 
i n f <tab> o <return> C-g C-g <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-u C-x 
5 1 <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-s a 
u t o m a t i c C-a <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> C-s e i e i o <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> C-s C-w C-w C-w SPC " e i e i <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-x 5 
f e / e i e o <backspace> i <tab> . <tab> <return> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> M-x r e p 
- e m - b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Saving file /home/monnier/cours/ift-2245/H2012/index.html...
Wrote /home/monnier/cours/ift-2245/H2012/index.html
Warning: interactive-p is obsolete! [9 times]
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Warning: interactive-p is obsolete!
Mark saved where search started
Warning: interactive-p is obsolete! [3 times]
Mark saved where search started [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(url-dav xml network-stream starttls url-cache url-http tls url
url-proxy url-privacy url-history mailcap url-auth url-cookie url-gw
url-expand url-methods url-util completion dos-w32 find-cmd lisp-mnt
log-edit pcvs-util add-log wdired ls-lisp find-dired dired-aux dired-x
typer-mode epa-file epa epg epg-config vc-dir descr-text informat
texinfo vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs cal-french
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-move cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs sort
mail-extr message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
mailheader emacsbug sh-script conf-mode hideif cpp cmacexp cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs sgml-mode format-spec reftex-vcr reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars
tex-mode latexenc bbdb-com mailabbrev bbdb timezone whitespace
autorevert doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired cl-specs xscheme trace
testcover scheme unsafep re-builder shadow inf-lisp ielm pp gmm-utils
ert find-func ewoc elp edebug cust-print repeat debug quail rect
multi-isearch dabbrev shell pcomplete vc ediff-merg ediff-diff
ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff
vc-dispatcher executable copyright cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
smerge-mode newcomment diff-mode vc-bzr filecache mule-util caml tuareg
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe skeleton compile comint ring derived
smie caml-help caml-types caml-emacs server noutline outline easy-mmode
flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode view
prog-mode load-dir electric url-handlers url-parse auth-source warnings
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util
password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload time-date savehist minibuf-eldef
disp-table cl cl-loaddefs all-autoloads company-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads epoch-view-autoloads jgraph-mode-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads lmc-autoloads load-dir-autoloads markchars-autoloads
minimap-autoloads muse-autoloads info easymenu oauth2-autoloads
quarter-plane-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads register-list-autoloads
sisu-mode-autoloads svg-clock-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads
uni-confusables-autoloads windresize-autoloads package tabulated-list
proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2 tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)