Subject: bug#1078: 23.0.60; font faces setting ignored by emacsclient run against --daemon

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 09:44:38 +0100

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:45:58PM -0700, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>   >   [ Disclaimer: I'm not sure this bug is legitimate, as it is about an
>   >   emacs feature (--daemon) which is not even yet documented. 
> 
> Please check the manual, and emacs --help.

$ emacs --help 2>&1 | grep daemon
$ 

The manual in fact now describes --daemon in the initial option
section, my bad.

> I slightly changed your code to make the background blue and the font
> underline to be able to easily check that setting the face and font work
> (no idea how to deal with the foundry and family...)
> 
> (custom-set-faces
>  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "blue"
> 			 :foreground "black" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil
> 			 :overline nil :underline t :slant normal :weight normal :height 90
> 			 :width normal :foundry "monospace" :family "monospace")))))
> 
> 
> and frames created with:
> emacs
> and  emacs --daemon  ; emacsclient -c 
> 
> look identical.

I've tried with your settings, but unfortunately here they do not look
identical at all. The one created with "emacs" has a blue background,
while the one created with "emacs --daemon ; emacsclient -c" has the
default pale yellow background.

How can I help you discovering more info about this issue from my
machine?

Cheers.

-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
XML stuff is so ... simplistic  -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time