Subject: bug#10773: set-variable can't change values of user options

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 11:14:34 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Shouldn't we be using `defcustom` instead of hard-coding Custom's
>>> "internal" properties?
>> Yes.  But I was worried that defcustom would be too heavy-handed here.
>
> I think if you're worried about the "cost" of `defcustom`, then we may
> as well stick to `defvar` 

I was mainly worried that defcustom had further other subtle effects
that I'm not aware of (:group? :version? the mandatory doc string?), but
looking at the code in custom-declare-variable, it looks pretty
straightforward...  (Famous last words.)

> (after all, it's not like it'll be very easy/convenient for the user
> to use the Custom UI to add a function on those hooks).

I think there's probably several bug reports about doing something about
that.  :-/

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no