Subject: bug#1077: 23.0.60; x-create-frame: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:21:22 -0800

Resending.  This reply of mine bounced for some reason.

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Adams Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:20 AM
To: 'Eli Zaretskii' Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: bug#1077: 23.0.60; x-create-frame: (wrong-type-argument
number-or-marker-p nil)

> It's not the design.  Simply, no one bothered to solve the
> difficulties that are related to having menu bars in minibuffer-only
> frames.  The function set_menu_bar_lines, which handles changes in the
> menu-bar-lines frame parameter, has this fragment right at its
> beginning:
> 
>   /* Right now, menu bars don't work properly in minibuf-only frames;
>      most of the commands try to apply themselves to the minibuffer
>      frame itself, and get an error because you can't switch buffers
>      in or split the minibuffer window.  */
>   if (FRAME_MINIBUF_ONLY_P (f))
>     return;
> 
> So it simply punts for minibuffer-only frames.

OK, so it sounds like a bug or missing feature, rather than a design
limitation/choice.  Can we please add fixing this to the TODO list?  (I'm
assuming it will not be fixed as part of the fix for this bug.)