Subject: bug#1077: 23.0.60; x-create-frame: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:16:15 -0800

>  > IOW, if a user currently cannot get this feature on 
>  > window sytem WXYZ, so be it (too bad).  That's not the
>  > same thing as hard-wiring Emacs to not provide the feature.
> 
> Being able to set `menu-bar-lines' to something > 1 is hardly useful
> when the window manager decides how many lines the menubar has.

I believe we are saying the same thing here.  That's what I meant by a user not
currently being able to get the feature on some given window system.

The point is that that doesn't mean that some other window system might not
provide such a feature, or even that a future or past version of the same window
system might not provide it.

IOW, let's separate which features Emacs allows from what some window managers
might support.  Certainly we do that in general; there are some window mgrs that
do not support some features that Emacs supports.

> It might be useful to know the actual size of the menubar for calculating
> the size of the Emacs window.  But you would not need a frame 
> parameter for that.

Sorry, I don't follow.  What does that have to do with what you or I say above?