Subject: Re: bug#1077: 23.0.60; x-create-frame: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:50:09 +0100

> It's not the design.

By design a minibuffer is a special buffer and a minibuffer window is a
special window.  The concepts of a standalone minibuffer window are
mostly unchanged from that of a minibuffer window attached to a normal
frame.

 > Simply, no one bothered to solve the
 > difficulties that are related to having menu bars in minibuffer-only
 > frames.  The function set_menu_bar_lines, which handles changes in the
 > menu-bar-lines frame parameter, has this fragment right at its
 > beginning:
 >
 >   /* Right now, menu bars don't work properly in minibuf-only frames;
 >      most of the commands try to apply themselves to the minibuffer
 >      frame itself, and get an error because you can't switch buffers
 >      in or split the minibuffer window.  */

You either have to redesign the concept of minibuffer windows or work
around the design.  Both tasks seem non-trivial to me.  "Right now" is
just another way to express that.

martin