Subject: bug#1077: 23.0.60; x-create-frame: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:57:21 -0800

>  >> building a menu bar with two lines...
>  >
>  > And that should be possible.  If it isn't possible today 
>  > because of some limitations then it should be kept as a future
>  > possibility and put on the TODO list (IMO).
> 
> On a windowing system it's not Emacs who decides how many lines the
> menubar takes up.  And the Windows API isn't even able to tell
> applications how many lines it actually uses for the menubar. 
> Most GNU based applications like Mozilla and Thunderbird do not allow 
> Windows to make two menubar lines in the first place.

Emacs is not limited by design to a particular set of window managers/systems,
let alone the current states of some particular set.  Or at least it should not
be - not by design.

IOW, if a user cannot currently cannot get this feature on window sytem WXYZ, so
be it (too bad).  That's not the same thing as hard-wiring Emacs to not provide
the feature.

Besides, is this true also for tool bars?  Depends on what is meant by a tool
bar, perhaps.  But (I think) I see lots of applications on MS Windows that have
multiple tool-bar lines (and multiple tool bars).