Subject: bug#10767: 24.0.93; Customize does not set org-blank-before-new-entry

From: Marcel Silva <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 21:26:49 -0500

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug without a .emacs initialization
file. My ~/.emacs file is currently this (exactly 2 lines):

(custom-set-variables
 '(org-blank-before-new-entry (quote ((heading . t) (plain-list-item . t)))))

However, it is not setting the variable org-blank-before-new-entry
correctly.

To reproduce this, start emacs with this two-line ~/.emacs file, then
activate org mode by running 'M-x org-agenda' and then 'a'; next check
the value of org-blank-before-new-entry by calling 'C-h v
org-blank-before-new-entry'. The help buffer shown lists

org-blank-before-new-entry is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is nil
Original value was
((heading . auto)
 (plain-list-item . auto))

as its first five lines.

Note: I am running Emacs 24.0.93.1 for Mac OS X with the nightly build
of 2012-02-08 and downloaded from the URL

http://emacsformacosx.com/emacs-builds/Emacs-2012-02-08-107180-universal-10.6.8.dmg

This problem did not happen to Emacs 24.0.92.1.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-02-08 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org-Agenda Week Ddl Grid

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x o r g SPC a g <tab> <return> a C-h v o r g SPC
b l a n k <tab> <return> M-x r e p o r t SPC e m <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Press key for agenda command:
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer, C-M-v to scroll help.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/marcel/.emacs.d/elpa/python-20111118/python hides
/Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug pp help-mode view cal-iso org-agenda org byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp advice help-fns advice-preload
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ring
org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline
easy-mmode regexp-opt cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs auctex-autoloads
tex-site info easymenu browse-kill-ring-autoloads
command-frequency-autoloads deft-autoloads diminish-autoloads
iy-go-to-char-autoloads maxframe-autoloads paredit-autoloads
projectile-autoloads python-autoloads solarized-theme-autoloads
zenburn-theme-autoloads package tabulated-list time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)