Subject: Re: bug#10755: stat: Please add directive to display size on disk

From: Filipus Klutiero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:35:27 -0500

On 2012-02-07 15:54, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 12:10 PM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>> Size on disk
> We don't know it's a disk drive; it might be
> any storage device that contain a file system.

I agree. I see an advantage in using the term "Size on disk": it is well 
known from Windows ( 
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh148159.aspx ). But indeed, 
it does not always apply. It could be mentioned in a parenthesis and/or 
in quotes nevertheless to facilitate search.
> Perhaps a better shorthand string would be "Allocation"?
> That's even shorter, and it conveys what's going on.

Oh, good question. We currently have:

> Size: 54              Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096

If we want to display the allocated size too, "Size" for "real"(?) size 
becomes clearly ambiguous. How about having a line for size? Something like

> Size    Real: 54    Allocated: 4096