Subject: bug#1985: closed (Re: bug#10741: missing comment-start-skip python.el)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:42:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10741: python.el doesn't define `comment-start-skip'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10741: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10741
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10741: missing comment-start-skip python.el
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 03:38:37 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.2

Thanks for the report. The Emacs trunk has a new python.el, and it seems
your issue is fixed there. This should appear in Emacs 24.2.

Subject: python.el doesn't define `comment-start-skip'
From: "Davis Herring" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:43:18 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel.gnu.org>

[ resent from
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-01/msg00335.html ]

It's implied in newcomment.el that `comment-normalize-vars' should be
called before using the library, which creates `comment-start-skip' if
necessary.  However, many programming modes seem to define it themselves;
cperl-mode uses "#+ *", and the old python-mode.el uses just "# *". 
Should this be added?

Davis

-- 
This product is sold by volume, not by mass.  If it appears too dense or
too sparse, it is because mass-energy conversion has occurred during
shipping.