Subject: Re: chmod +x

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:34:47 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> some more questions.
> I abstract a file system as something where each dir/file has a header
> where all properties reside.

Yes.  This information is stored in the Inode.  You can read about it here.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inode

> There doesn't exist a hybrid file system that unites eg. NTFS and ext4?

No.  Not as far as I know.

> NTFS is not POSIX complient?

No.  At least as far as I know.  Others will know.  I don't use NTFS.
In any case it would need to support Unix filesystem permissions along
with user and group ownership and the full set of behavior.

Until recently it was only possible to reliably read from NTFS because
the necessary information for it wasn't reverse engineered yet.
Recently this has been completed and it is now possible to write to
NTFS.  Given how it came about it is amazing that it works at all.

Bob