Subject: Re: bug#10733: 24.0.93; w32 file truncation

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 22:35:44 +0100

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 22:31, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 22:20:31 +0100
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>>       [email-masked]
>>
>> What worries me is the bypassing of MSVCRT.
>
> Why?  What do you think `stat' in MSVCRT does?  (You can find the
> sources on the Internet.)  It calls some of the same Win32 APIs, and
> then fills `struct stat'.  There''s nothing magic about that, and
> nothing to be afraid of.

Ok, I see. But what seems to have happened now is that changes in
these calls that are implemented in MSVCRT are not mirrored in the
Emacs reimplementation. (And we are aware that it is a bit serious.)

>> I think that perhaps it is better to reimplement on top of that.
>
> You can't.  To get the missing information you must go to lower-level
> APIs.

Do you say that it would slow down the Emacs implementation to get
this information with new calls (beside those potentially going
through MSVCRT)? Then I agree.