Subject: bug#10733: 24.0.93; w32 file truncation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:05:58 +0200

> Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 16:16:23 -0800
> From: "Ota, Takaaki" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Yes, I can do that.
> 
> 1. Have a text file that has more than 65375 characters.  Let's call
>    this text file test.txt.
> 
> 2. Run cmd.exe and change directory to where test.txt is located.
> 
> 3. Then execute the next command in the cmd.
> 
>   mklink link.txt test.txt
> 
> 4. Now run emacs as "emacs -Q link.txt" and do M-> (end-of-buffer).
> 
> 5. Find that you are not seeing the end of the file but somewhere
>    around 65375 character location and the rest of the file is not
>    visible.

Emacs on Windows doesn't support symlinks; they are new with Vista and
Windows 7.  Someone needs to write the code to support that, before
this can be considered a bug (as opposed to a feature request).

What you describe seems to indicate that insert-file-contents only
reads the first 64KB portion of the file, and then bails out.  Running
Emacs under debugger and reporting where it bails out of the reading
loop might help coming up with some band-aid solution.  But full
support of symlink requires specific support code, that just isn't
there at this time.