Subject: bug#10731: 24.0.93; ido-mode: C-j does not select buffer at head of list

From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:53:43 -0700

emacs -Q
M-x ido-mode
C-x b
C-j

I expected Emacs to show the *Messages* buffer upon issuing
C-j. However, it just exited the minibuffer and still showed the
*scratch* buffer. In this case, i.e. when the prompt is empty, I
expected the same behavior from C-j as from the Enter key,
i.e. selecting the buffer at the head of the list.

The help for (ido-select-text) says: Select the buffer or file named by
the prompt. 

Wouldn't that be the head of the list in the minibuffer in this case?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-02-04 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  my-keys-minor-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b C-j <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x b g n u <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> C-g M-x g n u s <return> g 
M-x C-g g <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t 
- e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Checking new news...done
No Gnus is good news
Quit
Checking new news...
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 1 groups; please wait)
nnimap read 32k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 1 groups; please wait)
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done
No Gnus is good news
call-interactively: End of buffer [8 times]

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins/python hides d:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7
netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
nntp gnus-cache info make-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds add-log paredit vc-bzr my-zenburn-theme erc-join erc-track
erc-match erc-pcomplete erc-stamp erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
thingatpt tramp warnings tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp password-cache shell pcomplete
tramp-loaddefs windmove auto-complete-config auto-complete popup
find-func ispell bookmark+ bookmark+-key dired-x dired bookmark+-1
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bookmark+-bmu
help-mode view bookmark+-lit pp+ bookmark+-mac bookmark pp midnight
desktop ibuffer uniquify autopair google-c-style cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs grep-o-matic grep compile comint regexp-opt
ring browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring ido yasnippet dropdown-list
derived easy-mmode edmacro kmacro easymenu assoc cl org-install server
advice help-fns advice-preload debbugs-autoloads package tabulated-list
autorevert time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)