Subject: bug#10728: closed (Re: bug#10728: lgrep fails with certain entries in grep-files-aliases)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 21:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10728: lgrep fails with certain entries in grep-files-aliases

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10728: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10728
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10728: lgrep fails with certain entries in grep-files-aliases
From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:50:12 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2/4/2012 2:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Why do you think this is a "failure"?  There indeed are no files
> matching these widlcards in the Emacs's src directory.

I guess you are right. I compared it to rgrep where the result is 
`Grep:exit [no match]' and the mode line says `Grep finished with no 
matches found'. Whereas with lgrep you get an `abnormal exit' from grep 
even if there are matches to some of the wild cards. This example was 
contrived. I noticed this at work in a tree where there were .CC and 
.cpp files present, but grep still exited abnormally.

There is no failure in Emacs. I'm closing this. Thanks.

Christoph

Subject: lgrep fails with certain entries in grep-files-aliases
From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:40:21 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The documentation of grep-files-aliases says:
*Alist for the FILES argument to `lgrep' and `rgrep'.

Certain aliases in that list do not work with lgrep.

For example, `cc' works fine with rgrep, but fails with lgrep with the 
following recipe:

emacs -Q
M-x lgrep
Search for: main
in files: cc
In directory: ~/devel/emacs/trunk/src/

Result:

-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "~/devel/emacs/trunk/src/" -*-
Grep started at Sat Feb  4 13:37:18

grep  --exclude=.\#\* --exclude=\*.o --exclude=\*\~ --exclude=\*.bin 
--exclude=\*.lbin --exclude=\*.so --exclude=\*.a --exclude=\*.ln 
--exclude=\*.blg --exclude=\*.bbl --exclude=\*.elc --exclude=\*.lof 
--exclude=\*.glo --exclude=\*.idx --exclude=\*.lot --exclude=\*.fmt 
--exclude=\*.tfm --exclude=\*.class --exclude=\*.fas --exclude=\*.lib 
--exclude=\*.mem --exclude=\*.x86f --exclude=\*.sparcf --exclude=\*.dfsl 
--exclude=\*.pfsl --exclude=\*.d64fsl --exclude=\*.p64fsl 
--exclude=\*.lx64fsl --exclude=\*.lx32fsl --exclude=\*.dx64fsl 
--exclude=\*.dx32fsl --exclude=\*.fx64fsl --exclude=\*.fx32fsl 
--exclude=\*.sx64fsl --exclude=\*.sx32fsl --exclude=\*.wx64fsl 
--exclude=\*.wx32fsl --exclude=\*.fasl --exclude=\*.ufsl 
--exclude=\*.fsl --exclude=\*.dxl --exclude=\*.lo --exclude=\*.la 
--exclude=\*.gmo --exclude=\*.mo --exclude=\*.toc --exclude=\*.aux 
--exclude=\*.cp --exclude=\*.fn --exclude=\*.ky --exclude=\*.pg 
--exclude=\*.tp --exclude=\*.vr --exclude=\*.cps --exclude=\*.fns 
--exclude=\*.kys --exclude=\*.pgs --exclude=\*.tps --exclude=\*.vrs 
--exclude=\*.pyc --exclude=\*.pyo -i -nH -e main *.cc *.cxx *.cpp *.C 
*.CC *.c++
grep: *.cc: No such file or directory
grep: *.cxx: No such file or directory
grep: *.cpp: No such file or directory
grep: *.C: No such file or directory
grep: *.CC: No such file or directory
grep: *.c++: No such file or directory

Grep exited abnormally with code 2 at Sat Feb  4 13:37:18

This is Emacs trunk (r107094) on Debian Testing.