Subject: bug#10723: 24.0.93; bad pp formatting for `C-h v' with list value

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 09:39:39 -0800

This is a REGRESSION which starts with Emacs 23 (no problem before 23).
 
emacs -Q
 
(setq foobar '(some-symbol ((some . cons) "some-string")))
 
C-h v foobar
 
Shows:
 
foobar's value is (some-symbol
 ((some . cons)
  "some-string"))
 
Please do not start the pretty-printed value on the same line as
"foobar's value is" if the pretty-printed value EITHER:
 
a. uses more than one line (i.e. contains newline chars)
 
OR
 
b. is longer than the standard *Help* output line length (`fill-column')
MINUS the length of "foobar's value is " (where "foobar" is replaced by
the variable's name)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-01-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'