Subject: bug#1072: Viper version is 3.14 of April 06, 2008; can't exit viper insert mode with ESC using emacsclient -t

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:49:50 +0100

[ Many thanks for your feedback Michael, I'm Cc-ing the bug entry in
the Emacs bug tracking system to keep track of your suggestions ]

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 12:41:04PM -0400, Michael Kifer wrote:
> Emacs works fine on a console for me.

Note that that works for me to, is especially the console emacsclient
which is broken.

> emacsclient -t does not work - says that -t is an invalid option.

So maybe it's a new feature, I'm using snapshot Emacs, I was trying to
help out with feedback about it reporting this bug. Here emacsclient
-t is supported:

  $ emacsclient --help | grep -- -t
  -t, --tty               Open a new Emacs frame on the current terminal

> Are you using a slow connection or something?

Not at all, it is my laptop, Emacs is running locally under X windows,
emacsclient -t is running in a local terminal.

> On a console, ESC is time sensitive. If something is sluggish
> then it won't work. Try to play with the variable viper-fast-keyseq-timeout
> Either increase or decrease it, and see if you see any changes.

I've tried, but nothing changed.

Let me point out again that it seems that ESC is not bound at all in
the console emacsclient, quoting my bugreport:

> The key different seems to be key binding, while in main Emacs and
> framed client "C-h k ESC" returns (viper-intercept-ESC-key), in
> console clients "C-h k ESC" hangs showing "ESC-" waiting for the
> next key in the binding.

Does this blink some light? (Or maybe explains that the bug is not at
all related to Viper and need to be looked for in some emacsclient
detail?)

Thanks a lot!
Cheers.

-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the
XML stuff is so ... simplistic  -- Manoj \/ right keys at the right time