Subject: 24.0.93; doc of `buffer-local-variables'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 10:52:55 -0800

(elisp) `Creating Buffer-Local' says:
 
"However, when a variable's buffer-local binding in BUFFER is void, then
the variable appears directly in the resulting list."
 
It is true that a Lisp variable is a symbol.  But this sentence is not
as clear as it could be, because some readers will not immediately
understand that "the variable appears directly in the resulting list"
means that the corresponding list element is the symbol.
 
The doc string is clearer (and shorter) in this case:
 
"For a symbol that is locally unbound, just the symbol appears in the
value."
 
The manual is right to mention BUFFER explicitly in this regard, but the
wording should be made clearer.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-01-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'