Subject: 23.3; Imenu behaved differently with submenus

From: "Thomas D. Dean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:29:14 -0800

If the value of imenu-max-items is less than the number of items to
display, imenu displays submenus.  To select an item from a sub menu, I
must use <return> rather than <mouse-1>

If the value of imenu-max-items is greater than the number of items to
display, imenu displays one menu.  To select an item from the menu, I
may use <mouse-1>

Create a file, xx.c containing
int a1(){}
int a2(){}
...
int an(){}

Set the value of imenu-max-items to some value more than n.  Press <mouse-3>
and select an item with <mouse-1>.  Emacs will go to that function 
definition.

Set the value of imenu-max-items to some value less than n.  Press
<mouse-3> and select a submenu item with <mouse-1>.  Nothing happens.
Press <mouse-3> and highlight a submeni item with the pointer and press
<return>.  Emacs will go to that function definition.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
  of 2012-01-07 on P9X79.tddhome
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--x-libraries=/usr/local/lib' 
'--x-includes=/usr/local/include' '--prefix=/usr/local' 
'--mandir=/usr/local/man' '--infodir=/usr/local/info/' 
'--build=amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0' 
'build_alias=amd64-portbld-freebsd9.0' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe 
-fno-strict-aliasing' 'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/local/lib 
-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include' 'CPP=cpp''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: C
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: nil
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: nil
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C/l

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f x x . c <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-3>
<mouse-3> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-3> <mouse-3>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading `~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/scilab.el': old-style backquotes detected!
Loading /home/tomdean/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/basic.el (source)...done
Loading iso-transl...done
No desktop file.
All done, tomdean.
Loading gnus...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading vc-cvs...done
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-cmds hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-cmds
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-bytecomp hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-bytecomp
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-align hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-align
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/verilog-mode hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/verilog-mode
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-langs hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-langs
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-vars hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-vars
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-mode hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-styles hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-styles
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-compat hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-compat
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-fonts hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-fonts
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-engine hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-engine
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-defs hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-defs
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-menus hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-menus
~/.emacs.d/emacs.lisp/cc-mode/cc-awk hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-awk
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-alg hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-alg
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-incom hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-incom
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-sel hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-sel
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-forms hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-forms
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-graph hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-graph
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-undo hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-undo
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-fin hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-fin
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-funcs hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-funcs
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-vec hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-vec
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-math hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-math
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-comb hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-comb
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-units hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-units
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-trail hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-trail
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-yank hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-yank
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc hides ~/work/calc-2.02f/calc
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-store hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-store
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-misc hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-misc
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-frac hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-frac
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-cplx hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-cplx
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-stuff hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-stuff
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-mode hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-mode
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-bin hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-bin
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-rewr hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-rewr
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-keypd hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-keypd
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-poly hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-poly
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-help hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-help
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-map hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-map
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-lang hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-lang
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-ext hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-ext
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-arith hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-arith
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-rules hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-rules
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-embed hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-embed
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-stat hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-stat
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-macs hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-macs
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-aent hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-aent
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/calc/calc-prog hides 
~/work/calc-2.02f/calc-prog

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock
sha1 hex-util hashcash emacsbug imenu vc-cvs cc-mode advice help-fns
advice-preload cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs paren gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-start cus-load
server iso-transl warnings disp-table counter cl cl-19 scilab shell gud
easy-mmode comint ring regexp-opt derived tempo easymenu tar-mode
desktop tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)