Subject: bug#10683: 23.4; Reverse video doesn't work for -nw

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:58:37 -0500

Your subject made me think you were talking about --reverse-video -nw,
which is http://debbugs.gnu.org/4238, but I guess you aren't.

[email-masked] wrote:

> I just upgraded to 23.4 and suddently background is white and text is
> black.  On IRC I've been told to set-background-color to whatever I
> like, which is awesome (after you realise that you stop seeing anything,
> because letters are black now too, and you don't know where the cursor
> is, because it's black as well). 

So set the foreground colour too, or use eg

emacs -nw -fg white -bg black

> However, I'm not using X, only -nw, which used to support transparent
> background just like that, now it seems it is doesn't anymoar, because
> apparently one cannot unset background colour.

Oh I see. You are using emacs -nw inside a transparent terminal
emulator, and Emacs detected the background mode as dark when it should
have been light (or vice versa), and manually specifying colours loses
the transparency effect.