Subject: bug#1068: auto-mode-alist in GNU Emacs 22.3

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 00:13:06 +0200

Hello!

Due to a problem with doc-view and auto-mode-alist I sorted this  
variable's contents and found some potential flaws.

	("\\.[Pp][Rr][Oo]\\'" . idlwave-mode)		./lisp/ldefs-boot.el:14686:  
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.[Pp][Rr][Oo]\\'" . idlwave-mode))
							./lisp/loaddefs.el:14686: (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\. 
[Pp][Rr][Oo]\\'" . idlwave-mode))
	("\\.pro\\'" . idlwave-mode)			./lisp/files.el:1974:     ("\\.pro\ 
\'" . idlwave-mode)

The latter line seems superfluous.

	("\\.tgz\\'" . tar-mode)		./lisp/jka-cmpr-hook.el:277:  (list (cons  
"\\.tgz\\'" 'tar-mode) (cons "\\.tbz\\'" 'tar-mode))
	("\\.tbz\\'" . tar-mode)

Is it possible to combine the two lines into one? I also have TAR  
files compressed with bzip2 with the extension .tbz2. Could it be  
added to the list of files in tar-mode?

In GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2008-09-28 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/sw' '--disable-dependency- 
tracking' '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/ 
man' '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib' '--without-pop' '--without-sound'  
'--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/ 
calendar22:/Library/Application Support/Emacs/caml:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:'  
'FREETYPE_CONFIG=/sw/lib/freetype219/bin/freetype-config' '--without- 
carbon' '--with-x' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' 'CFLAGS=-Os -pipe'  
'LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -L/sw/ 
lib/fontconfig2/lib' 'LIBS=-L/sw/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/lib/pango-ft219/ 
include/pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/pango-ft219/include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/ 
include/freetype2 -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/ 
include -I/sw/include''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
   utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.