Subject: Re: bug#10670: `fullscreen' frame parameter ill-named

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 14:59:26 -0500

>>> The frame parameter `fullscreen' is ill-named: I think that it should be
>>> renamed to `maximized' with accepted values nil, `vertical',
>>> `horizontal', `both', or `fullscreen'.
>>
>> I think that makes sense, but I'm not sure just how we would deprecate
>> something like that.  We could introduce a `maximized' parameter and use
>> it in preference of `fullscreen', and add some special code to issue a
>> (run-time?) deprecation warning...  but I'm not sure the effort (on our
>> part) and pain (for the users) would be worth it.
>>
>> Anybody got any opinions here?
>
> 'maximized' is a WM concept, usually has an API and pretty well defined

Right, WM now claimed "maximized" as their own term as well, indeed,
after doing the same for "fullscreen".  So if we want to change the
current misleading nomenclature and try to be futureproof we should use
a parameter name that sounds unlike any word a sane WM designer will
want to use for anything.

Maybe `use-of-screen-real-estate-status`?

        Stefan