Subject: Re: bug#10670: `fullscreen' frame parameter ill-named

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:29:31 +0100

>> The frame parameter `fullscreen' is ill-named: I think that it should be
 >> renamed to `maximized' with accepted values nil, `vertical',
 >> `horizontal', `both', or `fullscreen'.
 >
 > I think that makes sense, but I'm not sure just how we would deprecate
 > something like that.  We could introduce a `maximized' parameter and use
 > it in preference of `fullscreen', and add some special code to issue a
 > (run-time?) deprecation warning...  but I'm not sure the effort (on our
 > part) and pain (for the users) would be worth it.
 >
 > Anybody got any opinions here?

'maximized' is a WM concept, usually has an API and pretty well defined
semantics there (show a title bar with the corresponding indicator, do
not show the outer borders, cover the entire working area) and has
little or nothing to do with the other values (except that they are
mutually exclusive).  So the proposed renaming would be misguided IMHO.

martin