Subject: bug#10661: closed (Re: bug#10661: 24.0.93; (elisp) `Parser State' - "we plan to change")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#10661: 24.0.93; (elisp) `Parser State' - "we plan to change"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
10661: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10661
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#10661: 24.0.93; (elisp) `Parser State' - "we plan to change"
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:33:50 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The end of this node says:
>  
> "We have provided this access function rather than document how the data
> is represented in the state, because we plan to change the
> representation in the future."
>  
> That's been there since at least Emacs 22.

Removed, thanks.

Subject: 24.0.93; (elisp) `Parser State' - "we plan to change"
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:59:52 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The end of this node says:
 
"We have provided this access function rather than document how the data
is represented in the state, because we plan to change the
representation in the future."
 
That's been there since at least Emacs 22.  The reason given should be
changed.  Perhaps just say that the data structure used is subject to
change (IOW _might_ be changed at some point), but you can rely on this
function, etc.
 
In general, it's not a great idea to proclaim anything about what you
will do or plan to do.  Instead, say what you recommend and perhaps
state that what's not explicitly recommended is not something users
should depend on.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-01-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'