Subject: bug#10659: 24.0.93; (elisp) `scan-lists'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:42:24 -0800

These two sentences don't seem to fit together:
 
"If DEPTH is nonzero, parenthesis depth counting begins from that
value."
 
"Thus, a positive value for DEPTH means go out DEPTH levels of
parenthesis."
 
To make them fit I imagine that counting begins at a positive DEPTH and
decrements, not increments, until zero is reached.  That fits this, as
well:
 
"The only candidates for stopping are places where the depth in
parentheses becomes zero; `scan-lists' counts COUNT such places and then
stops."
 
Is that it?  Counting is *backward* from a positive DEPTH value *to
zero*?  If so, say so.  If not, clarify what does in fact happen.  As it
is now, the description is not clear.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-01-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags
 -LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'