Subject: Re: Duplicate large block deallocation

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:47:01 -0500

on Tue Jan 31 2012, Paul Eggert <eggert-AT-cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I think that diagnostic is not coming from Emacs; it's coming
> from the Boehm conservative garbage collector, which
> presumably is in the Darwin runtime library.  I have my
> doubts whether Boehm GC will work with Emacs as-is, as Emacs
> encodes pointers and this is likely to fool the GC.
> Can you build Emacs without the Boehm GC?  That might
> fix the problem.

1. I doubt Darwin's runtime contains the BoehmGC.

2. It's implausible that use of the BoehmGC is being injected into Emacs
   without being explicitly requested as part of its build instructions.
   If Darwin's autoconf, etc., were doing something like that, I would
   have heard about it (and it would break way too much software).

3. Even if the implausible (2) were in fact the case, if it's not part
   of Emacs's build instructions, how could I possibly "build Emacs
   without the Boehm GC?"

4. I've been using builds from http://emacsformacosx.com/builds; it's
   just easier than building my own.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com