Subject: bug#10654: 24.0.93; isearch-yank-line moved from C-y

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:54:16 -0500

"Aaron S. Hawley" wrote:

> I don't have any data to support that C-y is popular.

The weight of opinion seems to be against you.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7700#11
  I've always found the C-y binding in isearch "useless" and
  counter-intuitive. I'd much rather make C-y and M-y behave like they
  do in the minibuffer.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8183#5
  While I'm sure there's someone in the world who has a use for
  searching for the entire next line, there are many, many more people
  who find it useful to search for items from the kill ring.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-11/msg00687.html
  I was reluctant about it in the first place.

> I can confirm that putting `isearch-yank-line' to the `M-s C-e'
> binding is unsatisfying (M-s C-k makes more sense). 

Here is the motivation:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-11/msg00606.html
   bind `isearch-yank-line' to `M-s C-e' because `move-end-of-line' is
   on `C-e'.

> Though, without any data maybe I'm the only person who uses it and
> needs a short key binding?
[...]
> How about the shorter (and obvious) key binding of C-k?
[...]
> (define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-k" 'isearch-yank-line)

Personally I have no opinion.